Tupperbox 2023 Review and 2024 Plans
It's 2024, and Tupperbox is all geared up and ready to dive into another year head-first!
Feb 2024 Website Patch
First things first, we're rolling out a new patch to address some pesky bugs that crept into our website. The full list of bugs and changes addressed by this patch includes:
- Massively improved performance when reordering & editing tuppers and groups.
- Fixed a bug where the dashboard would reload when creating, editing, or moving tuppers.
- Fixed a bug causing newly created tuppers to be deselected.
- Fixed a bug causing tuppers to be deselected after reordering them.
- Improved usability when reordering tuppers on devices with large touch screens like tablets.
- Updating an avatar now reflects the new avatar on the dashboard immediately.
- Fixed tuppers not getting placed where they should when moving them to a new group.
- Fixed an issue causing tuppers to be dropped into the wrong group sometimes.
- Keyboard navigation in group selection dropdown now works correctly.
- Fixed an issue causing the tupper list to get stuck in multiselect mode after certain keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl+F.
- Fixed a bug that caused the site to break when tapping the avatar link field rapidly on mobile devices.
- Users can no longer set blank prefixes for Tupperbox in Server Settings.
- The guide has been updated with new, relevant information.
- Replaced old Set Group flow for multiple tuppers with an improved one using a search input.
- Newly created tupper names are now always unique.
Let us know in the support server if you find any other bugs with the site, and we'll try to address them quickly!
2023 was Tupperbox's biggest year so far. This year we surpassed 3 million Discord servers, and more users than ever are using Tupperbox every day! It's also been our biggest year so far for features and updates!
The biggest changes were on the website,
- User Settings Page: Users can configure their bot settings with an easy to navigate user interface.
- Server Settings Page: Server owners and admins can configure bot permissions for their servers.
- Avatar Uploading: Both free and premium users can now personalize their profiles with unique avatars, using our new uploading feature.
- Cropping Tool: To make sure your avatars look just right, we introduced a cropping tool that's easy to use.
- New Premium System: We revamped our premium system, allowing users to subscribe to Premium without a Patreon account.
- Visual improvements.
- Bug fixes.
- All tupper avatars are now automatically cached by Tupperbox - no more missing avatars!
- Added a new command, tul!diagnose, to help with configuration issues
- Paginated commands use message components instead of reaction buttons.
- Expanded the functionality of tul!prune.
- Added support for proxying Discord Voice Messages,
- Reduced lag spikes.
- Dozens upon dozens of other bug fixes and minor improvements.
Hiccups and Setbacks
Growth is exciting, but it's not without its challenges. In 2023, we had to scale up our infrastructure and manage increased expenses to support our growing community. Earlier in the year, we also encountered a series of persistent networking issues that took some time to resolve.
The biggest setback we've had to face so far had to be the Discord Attachment lockdown (see previous blog post). At one point, we handled the downloading of approximately 70 million images over a just a few days to ensure that our users don't lose their avatars when Discord rolls their changes out. Thankfully, everything seems to have gone smoothly, with no real issues so far.
Looking ahead, we're planning on continuing to expand on Tupperbox's feature set. Here's a sneak peek of some of our goals and ideas we're planning on for now:
- Better importing/exporting through the Dashboard
- New and better organization and management for tuppers
- More social features with tuppers via the website
- Shiny new tupper features for the bot
This year, we're going to try to roll together some features into larger, more thematic updates. You'll hear more word once we finish everything we have planned for our first big update.
We think that 2024 is going to be an even bigger year for Tupperbox, and we look forward to hearing from all of you as we continue to roll out these updates.
As always, a huge thank you to those who financially support us via Premium. We couldn't do this without you.
~ Gasparr, Enthusiastic Amphibian
2-10-24: What happened to Variants?
We've been getting some questions about the variants update, and looking back, our messaging hasn't been as clear as we would have liked, so I'm going to clarify here.
We started work on it last year and quickly ran into major design challenges that touched every aspect of the bot's core functionality. After serious consideration, planning, and architecting, we came to the conclusion that the variants feature would simply take too much time and change too much of how the bot works for us to continue working on it. There's a lot that we could get wrong with the implementation of variants, and rolling out a bad variants update would negatively impact the user experience for much of Tupperbox.
We've decided to focus on adding new features that will be a sure success, and that we can push out more quickly instead.
We still plan on adding features that will allow users to sort and organize their tuppers better (like labels and filters), some of which should replicate the functionality of variants in a less potentially destructive way.
We may still consider implementing variants much later down the line, but we currently have no plans to work on it this year.